Saturday, November 29, 2014

A Women Engineer In Training

*This post is a life update on my one month absence!*

Recently I've constantly been on the move so, it is a matter of 'Catch Me IF You Can' to get pictures now a days!
That's me with the camera.
I have been on a months absence because I have just entered an ABET accredited program as an A WET: A Women Engineer in Training. Disclaimer: I am speaking from 30 days of experience and acknowledge that I have not even scratched the surface of what it’s like to be a W.E.T.   


As I enter this world, I would like to share some secrets from what I've seen after peeking inside the closed door. I am one of the 9 young ladies in my entire class of engineers and there are some slight differences to my everyday life as opposed to my counterparts.


Things I've Learned:
  1. Study TWO times as hard
  2. Take advice from experienced women (and men) engineers
  3. Explore research/internship opportunities
  4. Make time to relax


Study two times as hard because not only will you be answering questions in class but also providing reasoning and proof to what you know as an women.


Take advice from experienced engineers because they have fought in the trenches as a new found WET and know tricks to the trade. They know who to go to for recommendations on campus or information about internships or access to networks in the industry.


Explore different opportunities early as a resume and experience builder. Don’t be afraid to work in a school lab during one of your breaks or take a non-paid internship your freshman year. These steps are a big step towards working in the industry, depending on what type of engineering you’re majoring in.


Relax! Relax because you will get burned out and might not realize that putting down your books will have a better net benefit than harm. Rejuvenate and recharge your batteries. Join a co-curricular or extracurricular club to remain productive during your free time.


I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering and am currently seeking summer internship opportunities. My mentors have encouraged to keep my search open because mechanical engineering is so broad. To adhere to this advice, I am signing up for both engineering internships and research opportunities. I am envious of the engineering students that already have a passion in their field. So I’ve taken out some time during this Thanksgiving break to reflect on what could I spend days, months, years, researching about for FUN. I thought about past internships, hobbies, vacations, favorite movies, and games… and I came out with starting research about wave and tidal energy technology.
I entered engineering with the mindset that if all else fails I will become a research engineer with the Navy and work on autonomous underwater vehicles. However, there is more to ocean/mechanical engineering than torpedoes and AUVs. I will be sharing more about my collegiate adventure so, stay tuned and comment below on your favorite collegiate experience so far or blast from the past!

Lately all I live, breathe, and know is: school, my favorite library spot, and exactly how to make my coffee. So, excuse me whilst I study the latest issues of every fashion magazine on the shelf to 'hip' myself to winter fashion 2014/15!

Grammarly yours, Semirah D

More Links

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...