Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Graduation Gift Guide: Monthly Subscription Boxes

It is graduation season and for my beloved blog followers you may have seen my first gift guide of the season here: Graduation Gift Guide: Monograms. Monogram lovers, Vera Bradley obsessed people and boys packing away for college, that first post was for you. For this college/high school graduation gift guide I will be sharing some monthly subscription boxes that I've experimented with. Monthly subscription boxes are for him and her, totally unisex, one size fits all.

Since December I've had a dose of Pijon box, a Mexican candy box and Japanese candy box. These are all very diverse in selection (trust me, I know) but, I really aim to emphasize to you all that there is a monthly subscription box for everyone.

First up: Pijon Box

Frava Juice // Socks // Smarty Pants Gummy Vitamins // JimmyBAR! // Vapur
 Pijon box seems to be like I would order it mid year of college. I'm a student and I've learned a bit of what my needs are for the year but, having some nifty and helpful products out of the Pijon box won't hurt. My favorite item from this box is the Vapur water bottle because I love the convenience. This bottle is perfect for traveling (hiking, sports, etc.) because of it's ability to be folded into basically a wallet-sized space. The gummies, bars and juice were great snacks to bring to class and for post-workouts. Socks are socks, kudos for styling in stripes. 

At a price point of $25 and promise of $30-$50 in value, I don't think this box is worth the price. The total value of everything in this box is about $23 (which I still don't understand). Honestly I more medium-large sized item may have convinced me.

Out of 5, I give this box a 3.  

Next: Mexican Candy Box

Details of candy visible in picture.
First off, I would like to say I have a passion to become fluent in spanish. My mother almost had me in Mexico so, I guess this all runs in the family. The Mexican candy box was not my first time trying Mexican candy. My thirdrd grade spanish teacher brought some of these same candies to share with my class. Obviously it has been a while since I've had these but, I just wanted to share my perspective before I recommend you try it. If you have a taste for adventure but are stuck in a rot then, travel to your adventurous side by ordering a sweets box from Mexico or Japan (details below). 

The candies from this company are offered in separate boxes of spicy, sweet, or both. I opted for both. Everything definitely has an acquired taste and I honestly couldn't finish the Molcajetes or any candy that said "with chili". For Americans with bonafide sweet palates start off with the sweet box. 

The boxes are also divided up into portion sizes as: solo (individual)- $12, amigo (two servings)- $15 and familia (four servings)- $20. 

Out of 5, I give this box a 2.5 (I'm sure these candies are wicked cheap but, it costs to export stuff).

Finally: Candy Japan


Warning: extreme bravery needed. Maybe I am exaggerating but, as an American who recently learned that Chinese General Gao chicken isn't even Chinese food, I was in a total shock with these sweets. Maybe it is the lack of chemicals held in all American food or maybe it is the difference in sources but, these candies require a whole new frame of mind or familiarity with (REAL) Asian food to digest. The first thing that I felt safe enough to try was the "Choco" treats because, "All chocolate is good chocolate" (Right?). Wrong! Inside of these supposed treats is some type of clear gummy like substance that could probably be a rice ball (pictured on the front). 

In the end, everything is safe to eat and I didn't get sick. If you are interested in this kind of candy and/or have childhood memories of loving these things then, viola it is available online. Now if only I could get some company to send my crepes or treats from India! (btw this adventurous spirit is stemming from the fact that Indiana Jones is my current muse). 

Out of a 5, I give this box a 1.5



Grammarly yours, Semirah D

*Pijon, MexicanCandyBox and Candy Japan sent me complimentary boxes in return for a honest review. All opinions are my own.* 

More Links

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...