Monday, December 16, 2013

Mark Zuckerberg And I Are BFFL's

             In so many words, Mark Zuckerberg and I are basically BFFL's, right? I met his sister, that must mean him and I indirectly crossed social paths and that one second of recognition constituted our friendship. This can all be justified in New England, where name-dropping is socially acceptable and essentially required for survival. If you've traveled the East and West coasts of America, you may notice certain differences in social norms. Here in New England, name dropping has it's advantages and naturally there are disadvantages as well. You can get into the most exclusive clubs by cranking out a few important names and your relations. California is too big for anyone to possibly know enough people to name drop their way to fame, please inform me if this has been accomplished!
          
            The coolest part of this social phenomenon is when your name is used to someone else's advantage. When this is correlated with social media, having a popular twitter following or connections on social media can get you further than New England style name dropping. Businesses want to be heard and having an influential "Voluntweeter" in their grasp is like cashing in on this free advertising real estate called social media. Making a social media follower into a dedicated fan is your key to growing an army of voluntweeters.


           In between keeping up with school work and my winter fitness endeavors, I was invited to cover the Massachusetts' Conference for Women. Wearing a press badge and having inside access at one of the nations largest women conference was a honor. The strength, influence, and (huge amounts of estrogen) in the building was insane! The conference provides connection, motivation, networking, inspiration and skill building for thousands of women each year. All of these things sound great and dandy but, the amount of productivity gained at this conference depends on your homework. Most conference's you show up and expect to be fed motivational reminders of tips and tricks for your career. At the Mass Women Conference you need to know; who is speaking, when and where.
       
            After completing my homework, I had a lecture/panel coordinated with appropriate book signings in sequential order. This was my first time at the MA Women Conference and the long day slammed me mentally and physically. The only thing that kept me going was: 1) A miracle called, Tylenol and 2) The prospect of amazing networking opportunities.


Massachusetts Conference for Women Guest Speakers

Randi Zuckerberg and I 

The networking opportunities I gained were unexpected but, highly appreciated. To do a little name dropping, I was able to meet and learn from the following personnel: 

Blake Mycoskie: I've never seen a man grasp a crowd of 10,000 women quite like Blake did. Blake's down to earth aura and enticing background demanded the attention of everyone in the auditorium. I laughed, cry, and clapped for every single awe-inspiring idea that left Blake's lips. But the story behind TOMS shoes is definitely something to hear! 

Randi Zuckerberg- Was apart of a social media panelist alongside spokesmen from @lululemon @BostonGlobe and @raytheon. Randi is the CEO and founder of Zuckerberg Media, as well as former marketing director for.... Yes, you guessed it... Mark Zuckerberg's baby "Facebook". During the meet and greet with Randi I was able to pick her mind with a few additional questions that really helped out with my blog's Facebook page. 

Karen Holmes Warden- Personal on WCBV and inspirational women. Karen and I had an inspiring conversation before closing out the conference. Informative for both of us, I taught her a bit of Twitter 101 and she shared with me some tips of the trade when it comes to getting the most out of networking opportunities. 

Anne Hebert- The amazing women behind @masswomen  #masswomen for the conference's social media presence. We were able to get #masswomen to be one of the top trends on twitter in the USA that day.  

Leymah Gbowee- This women may be alot of extraordinary things but, for me, she was a helping hand before becoming an inspiring figure. It was 8 hours into my day and I could barely stand to walk to the next lecture but by fate I made it to Leymah's meet and greet. By this point in the conference I was a walking zombie with a smile plastered on my face. Leymah had me sit down and she hugged me before taking a photo. It was nice to know that out of all of the swarming bodies, at the conference, someone was looking out for you. Leymah's grounding touch gave me the push I needed to finish my day out.

Leymah and I at the Massachusetts Conference for Women
I am so honored to be afforded the priceless opportunities that I've experienced this year. Through this blog I've met so many people and have begun to build a brand for Sound of Charm. As the winter rolls in I will be spending more time in the books and on the treadmill. This Wednesday, I am going to attempt the feat of getting out of bed and going to go run in zero degree weather. God bless my soul! 


Grammarly yours, SemirahD



More Links

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...